Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Wonderful Thing

by James von Dielingen

I’m marching through the jungle
Hunting a wonderful thing
I’m hoping to discover the
Wonderfulness it will bring

At every turn and twist
It dodges, jukes, and zips
I’ve armed myself to the gills
With nets, guns, traps, and whips

I spy the wonderful thing
Way up in the highest tree
I try to steady my aim
But it deftly eludes me

It has four arms for climbing
And four wings come out of its back
It has two fins and two flippers
For escaping a water attack

Four legs adorn its bottom
As well as a wound up coil
And under an arm grows a shovel
For digging around in the soil

Two horns jut out from its skull
And two more stick out of its face
A squirty mouth shoots smelly black liquid
That gets all over the place.

I chase it through the trees
And down on the jungle floor
It jumps into the water, and
I follow ‘til I can no more

I ache from head to toe
From all the running it took
To chase it ‘til it stopped, and
 I sneak close to get a good look

I creep along the jungle floor
Carrying only my net
But soon I stop and gander
Thoughts of capture I soon forget

For right in front of my eyes
In a tiny jungle den
Crouches the wonderful thing with food
For its wonderful children

It has three pouches on its front
And two more on its back
And each and every pouch contains
A wonderfully tasty snack

A trunk sits in the corner
Made of leaves and stems and bark
The thing pulls from it a box of glowworms 
To shed some light on the dark

Both mouths on the wonderful thing
Began to sweetly coo
And the duet makes the children sleepy
Soon I am sleepy, too 

I drop the net, the guns,
And every whip and trap
Instead I grab my camera
And pictures I soon snap

I’m marching through the jungle
Photographing some wonderful things
I’m happy to have discovered
The wonderfulness that they bring

No comments:

Post a Comment