Friday, June 10, 2011

Ode to a Hangnail

by James von Dielingen

Hangnail, oh hangnail
You monarch of pests!
For so long you've racked me
with the painiest tests!

I quest to maintain
my sanity, while you
work my last nerve till
I run myself through.

Oh Pain of all pains,
how you haunt me all day!
I bite and I snip but
you don't go away!

You bothersome nuisance
at the tip of my finger,
please leave here at once!
Don't dally or linger.

I may take a knife to 
Cut off this digit!
I’ll have to be sure
To keep still and not fidget

Wait! What have I done?
I have bitten you gone!
Now with what will I fiddle
or obsess upon?

Hangnail, oh, hangnail!
I miss you, old boy!
You gave me a purpose,
and brought me such joy!

To think I would cut you 
away with a knife!
Hold on. Wait a minute.
I must get a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment